Forms, Fees & Flowcharts

The following commonly used forms may be printed and submitted to the LAFCO office. Applications should be signed. Refer to the Schedule of Fees and Deposits to ascertain LAFCO processing fees. If boundary change applications are approved and completed, the proponent must prepare a set of legal maps and legal descriptions for filing with the State Board of Equalization, and pay an additional fee to the State Board of Equalization to finalize the boundary change.

Please send completed forms along with a deposit check to:
Santa Cruz LAFCO
701 Ocean Street #318D
Santa Cruz CA 95060

These forms are provided in Word and Adobe PDF format to allow for easy downloading and printing.


Boundary Change Application
PDF or Word Format

This is the most common form used by individuals or agencies to apply for a boundary change such as a city annexation, a district annexation, or a county service area formation.

Notice of Intent to Circulate a Petition
PDF or Word Format

State law requires people to file this notice with the LAFCO Executive Officer before circulating a property owner or registered voter petition to initiate a boundary change.

PDF or Word Format

State law provides that boundary change applications are submitted to LAFCO either by resolution of an affected public agency board, or by resolution of registered voters or property owners. This petition can be used by a group of either registered voters or property owners to accompany a Boundary Change Application.

Environmental Questionnaire
PDF or Word Format

The California Environmental Quality Act requires LAFCO and other public agencies to consider the potential environmental impacts of all applications it reviews. An Environmental Questionnaire should accompany all boundary change, sphere of influence amendment, and extraterritorial service applications. The Environmental Questionnaire does not need to be submitted if another public agency has already certified an environmental document that addresses the proposal in the LAFCO application; check with LAFCO staff if you think this may apply.

Sphere of Influence Amendment
PDF or Word Format

Property owners, registered voters, or an affected agency board to apply to LAFCO to establish or amend a Sphere of Influence may use this form.

Extraterritorial Service Application
PDF or Word Format

This application is used by property owners to apply for LAFCO authorization to receive a single service from a city or district without annexing to that agency. This is used in limited circumstances; contact the LAFCO staff to discuss its potential use.

Fees and Deposits
PDF Format

This lists the fees that LAFCO charges to offset the costs of processing applications.

PDF Format

For applications that LAFCO approves, LAFCO requires the proponent of the application to indemnify LAFCO against future litigation costs. This must occur in order for LAFCO’s approval to become effective.

State Board of Equalization’s Change of Jurisdictional Boundary
Requirements for Descriptions, Maps, and Fees PDF Format

At the end of a successful boundary change process, the applicant is required to provide a legal map and a legal description, and to pay processing fees to the State Board of Equalization in order to officially finalize the change.

View a Legal Map sample
View a Legal Description sample

Both the map and legal description must include either the rancho name or the township, range, and section.

LAFCO staff will record the legal map and description in the Santa Cruz County Recorder’s Office. Therefore, they also must conform to the Recorder’s format requirements. No wording or any part of a map can be illegible.

View detailed Recorder’s Requirements

State CEQA Document Fees

Part of the costs that LAFCO charges for processing an application include CEQA Document Fees that the State requires for many projects. When these fees are required, LAFCO pays these fees and charges them back to the applicant.

FORMS 11-14
Protest Forms

For most boundary changes, state law provides for a period in which landowners and voters within the reorganization area may protest the boundary change. This protest period occurs after LAFCO authorizes a boundary change. If 25% of either the landowners or voters within the area subject to the boundary change file written protest within the protest period, an election of the registered voters will be held to determine whether the boundary change occurs.

Protest Process Flow Chart for most annexations.

Landowner Protest Form

Voter Protest Form

Withdraw Landowner or Voter Protest Form

FORMS 15-16
Disclosure Forms

State law requires parties that have made certain campaign contributions to LAFCO members to disclose those contributions.

Disclosure Form

Disclosure Law

Latent Powers Application
PDF or Word Format

This application is used when a special district applies to activate a service which state law authorizes it to provide, but which the district has not previously provided.


The Generic Annexation Flowchart was prepared by the Governor’s Office of Planning Research to depict a generic annexation process.

The following flowcharts illustrate the specific process for various boundary changes reviewed by LAFCO.

Uninhabited = 11 or fewer voters registered in subject area
Inhabited = 12 or more voters registered in subject area

Translate »